digital illustration is an imaging technique, which is done using software instead of pencils and paints. Artists use multimedia animation and graphic design programs, graphics tablets, and other devices to create illustrations.
They can do it in a wide variety of styles and formatsFrom infographic graphics to comics and 3D animations, it offers great flexibility and editing capabilities, making it popular in graphic design, advertising, and animation.
Concept and meaning of digital illustration
It is an artistic technique that uses computer tools and software for creating images and graphics. It differs from traditional illustration since it is done on a digital platform, instead of paper or canvasand by using a stylus or graphics tablet to draw and illustrate on the computer screen.
The process of creating a digital illustration begins with the use of a graphic design programsuch as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. These allow the artist to create and manipulate shapes, lines, and colors to make an image. Digital tools offer a wide range of brush options, textures, and effects that can be used to create a wide variety of artistic styles and techniques.
Has many advantages compared to traditional illustration. For example, it allows you to save and edit jobs with ease, which is better for making changes and adjustments. In addition, digital illustration allows greater precision and control over the final result, since you can work with layers, adjust opacity, and apply lighting and shading tricks.
What is digital illustration in cinema?
It refers to the use of tools and techniques in the creating visual effects in movies and film productions. It is a method used in the industry to create imaginary worlds, characters and scenes that would be impossible to achieve with traditional animation techniques and special effects.
Artists use a wide variety of programs and tools to create digital illustrations on film. Among the most popular software are Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk Maya, ZBrush and Houdini etc. Artists can also use graphics tablets and other input devices to draw and paint on the computer screen.
digital illustration It is used in film to create visual effects, such as creating fantastical creatures, manipulating scenes to add or remove objects and characters. Likewise, in the realization of imaginary worlds, the simulation of physical tricks like explosions and manipulation of lighting and shadow effects.
What are the characteristics of digital illustration?
Some of the characteristics digital illustration are the following:
- Digital: As the name suggests, it is created using computer software and tools. This allows more flexibility and a wide range of creative possibilities.
- Precision: Helps to have a great detail and control in making images. The tools let you work with layers and adjust opacity, making it easy to create complex artwork.
- Edition: One of the advantages is that the images are easily editable. Changes and adjustments can be made at any time, even after the job is complete.
- Versatility: digital illustration offers a wide diversity of brush options, textures and effectswhich helps the artist perform a wide variety of styles and techniques.
- interactivity: Digital tools allow you to create interactivelywhich means that the creator can see the result of their work in real time and make adjustments accordingly.
- Storage: The images They may be saved and take up less space than traditional illustrations.
- easy sharing: They can be shared online and on different social media platforms.
How are digital illustrations made?
They are created using computer tools and software. The general process of creating a digital illustration involves the following steps:
- Select a graphic design program: There are many graphic design software available, such as Illustrator, Procreate, Krita, Corel Painter, among others. The artist must choose the program that best suits her needs and abilities.
- Select a graphics tablet or input device: A tablet is a device that connects to the computer. This allows the artist to draw and paint on the screen, although input devices such as a mouse or a stylus.
- Create a new image: In the graphic design program, the artist can make an illustration in white or import an existing image.
- Drawing and painting: Using the tools of the design program and the tablet or input device, the artist can trace and color the picture. Digital tools offer a wide range of brush options, textures, and effects that can be used to perform a wide variety of styles and techniques.
- adjust and edit: After having created the illustration, the artist can modify the image as needed. This involves changing colors, adding or removing elements, or adjusting opacity or brightness.
- save the image: Once the illustration is complete, the artist can store it in different formats, as JPEG, PNG, PSD or TIFF, for future use, in addition to making it easy to use for uploading to social networks like Instagram or for sending by email.
How many types of digital illustrations are there?
There are several classes, each one with its own characteristics and uses. Here I present some of them:
- vector illustration: It is created using softwares like Adobe Illustrator. Vector images are made using geometric shapes, lines and curves instead of pixels. This allows images to be scalable without losing quality, making them ideal for use in print and web designs.
- pixel illustration: Created using editing software such as Adobe Photoshop or Pixelmator. They are made up of small colored dots, which can be individually adjusted to create an image, making them ideal for web graphics and screen layouts.
- 3D illustration: It is created using software such as Blender or Autodesk Maya. They are made up of three-dimensional objects and models, which can be lit and rendered to create high-quality images. They are ideal in animation and video game design.
- infographic illustration: Used to introduce information in a visual way and easy to understand. These may include graphs, tables, maps, and other elements to communicate data and statistics.
- comic illustration: Used to create graphic novels and often have a unique style which includes line strokes and bright, saturated colors.
- Fashion illustration: Is used for depict clothing and accessories. They tend to be detailed and stylized to display the designs in an attractive way.
What is the difference between digital and manual illustration?
The main variant is the medium used to create the image. Hand illustration involves creation using traditional tools such as pencils, ink, watercolors, or oil paints on paper or canvas. Instead, digital illustration is done by means of computer tools and software.
Here we present some of the Main differences between digital and manual illustration:
- Flexibility: With digital illustration, it’s possible to do modifications and corrections with ease, as it helps to quickly adjust and edit the image. Instead, with manual illustration, changing it is more difficult and requires a complete redraw.
- reproducibility: digital illustrations are reproduced quickly and easily, either in different sizes or formats, making them ideal for use in print and web designs. On the other hand, hand illustrations can be difficult to reproduce accurately.
- textures: Digital tools offer a wide variety of brushes and effects to create textures, although the texture of the paper or paint is not replicated. Instead, hand illustration creates a unique and tangible texture on the paper or canvas.
- personal feeling: Many artists they enjoy the physical process of creating art with manual tools, such as the feel of textures and direct control over the image. On the other hand, digital utensils can be less satisfying in this aspect.